The Health and Safety at Work (Major Hazard Facilities) Regulations 2016 (the regulations) came into force on 4 April 2016. These Regulations mandate specific duties relating to process safety that apply to designated Major Hazard Facilities and outline requirements for potential Major Hazard Facilities.
WorkSafe has developed a suite of five good practice guidelines for operators of facilities or proposed facilities on how to fulfil their duties under the regulations.
- Major Hazard Facilities: Safety Cases
- Major Hazard Facilities: Notifications and Designation
- Major Hazard Facilities: Safety Assessment
- Major Hazard Facilities: Emergency planning
- Major Hazard Facilities: Major Accident Prevention Policy and Safety Management Systems
- August 2020: Technical bulletin: Notifying a rupture disc activation when classified as a SCE
- July 2020: Bulletin - Notifiable incidents for MHF sites
- June 2018: Reporting notifiable incidents for failure of pressure safety valves when identified as safety critical elements at Major Hazard Facilities
- September 2017: Defining safety critical elements and demonstrating their independent verification at a major hazard facility
- July 2017: Technical bulletin: Major Hazard Facilities - Floating roof tank fire scenarios
- June 2017: Clarification notice: HSWA (MHF) Regulations 2016; HSE (PECPR) Regulations 1999 and the application of Pressure Equipment Hazard levels under AS 4343.