PLM 5456 Limited (trading as Daytona Indoor Raceway Hamilton)
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure that there is a documented standard operating procedure for refuelling in place;
- Ensure that employees are trained on the documented standard operating procedure for refuelling and were signed off as being competent to complete the task;
- Ensure that the fuel containers were sufficiently filled to complete the task;
- Use visual cues such as painted lines on the fuel tank and cap to indicate which when the cap is unsecure and when it is secure; and
- Ensure that secondary checks of the fuel caps are undertaken prior to the commencement of the go kart racing.
The victim was a paying customer utilising the service of the defendant.
On the day of the incident, the victim was operating a kart owned by the Defendant. During the race the victim collided with the barrier and spun out, fuel escaped and ignited. The victim suffered burns to his body.
The investigation revealed the fuel cap was not secured properly and there was no steps put in place to check the cap integrity before the race.