Genesis Energy Limited exemption from the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017
WorkSafe has granted an exemption to Genesis Energy Limited from compliance with Regulation 16.31 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 for two tank wagons, MOT numbers 94407 and 119162.
The exemption is granted by WorkSafe in accordance with section 220 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 on the basis that WorkSafe is satisfied that:
- the extent of the exemption is not broader than is reasonably necessary to address the matters that gave rise to it; and
- the exemption is not inconsistent with the purpose of the Act; and
- the pre-commissioning inspection under regulation 16.34(4)(a) and resulting conditions to address the non-compliances identified by that inspection enables the two LPG tank wagon semi-trailers to be issued a tank wagon record number (TAN).
The exemption comes into effect on 14 June 2019 and expires on 14 June 2024 unless it is replaced sooner or revoked. The exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- Genesis Energy Ltd must operate and maintain each tank wagon in accordance with Part 16 the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017.
- Prior to bringing these tank wagons back into service, Genesis Energy Ltd must ensure that each tank wagon:
- is fitted with a backup means for shutting off the delivery pump;
- has the tanker plate marked with the maximum fill level for that tank wagon;
- has the strength of the chassis attachment ascertained. If the strength of the chassis attachment is less than 80% of that specified in Schedule 23, the attachment must be strengthened to 100% of that specified in Schedule 23;
- is fitted with drive-away protection that ensures the tank wagon cannot be moved while discharge hoses are connected.
- Genesis Energy Ltd must fix the issued record number (TAN) to the respective tank wagons in a manner that will ensure it will remain legible for the life of the tank wagon.